This Seventeenth Century engraving shows the Classical, ascending celestial spheres or orbs. Each planet has a corresponding Muse. But when we get to the Uranian Muse she is beyond Saturn and Polyhymnia, immediately beneath the Primum Mobile.
Some contemporary writers have interpreted the serpent as the Kundalini. While this is within the realm of possibility, given the extent of cultural exchange in the Hellenistic world, I would have to ask why the serpent is descending. The Kundalini is coiled at the base of the spine until awakened, at which time she ascends
In the Science & Art of Renaissance Music, the authors turn to key passages in the Saturnalia by Macrobius. There we find the “The Three Graces dancing at Apollo’s right and the three-headed
Serpent extending from Apollo to the Earth. This Serpent might be seen musically as a bow – not a very well made one – drawn across the Celestial lyre strings; or it might represent the single string of the Cosmic Monochord, like that depicted in Robert Fludd’s Utriusque Cosmi.” (James Haar, Paul Edward Corneilson p. 82).
The nine muses and their associations1.
1) Clio: muse of history was always represented with a clarion in the right arm and a book in the left hand.
1. Clio: muse of history Clio was always represented with a clarion in the right arm and a book in the left hand.
2. Euterpe: muse of several musical instruments, courses and dialectic. She was always depicted holding a flute, with many other instruments around her.
3. Thalia: Muse muse of comedy, geometry, architectural science and agriculture.
4. Melpomene: muse of Tragedy. She was depicted holding a tragedy mask and usually bearing a bat.
5. Terpsichore: muse of dance, invented dances & the harp.
6. Erato: muse of Love and Love Poetry..
7. Polymnia: Muse of the divine hymns and mimic art
8. Ourania: Muse of the celestial objects and stars : muse of Astronomy and astrology
9. Calliope: Muse accompanying kings and princes to implement justice and peace. Calliope was Homer’s muse.
You must be logged in to post a comment.